Officer Related Question
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Officer Related Question

Hola everyone, I posted a while back with some MOS questions and being an officer and what not, well I am set on becoming an officer and I'll be starting the process once I return from summer break, but I just wanted to know if as an officer what the possibility is of receiving a second BA/BS degree? I'm looking to minor in Computer Science and I would love to go back and get a degree in it after I graduate and I wanted to know how possible it would be. I know that it all depends on what MOS you have as some are "less flexible" than others time-wise. Just wondering if anyone had any experience in getting another BA/BS as an officer or attending Grad School as an already commissioned officer. Thanks for any and all information.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Britt2127 View Post
    Hola everyone, I posted a while back with some MOS questions and being an officer and what not, well I am set on becoming an officer and I'll be starting the process once I return from summer break, but I just wanted to know if as an officer what the possibility is of receiving a second BA/BS degree? I'm looking to minor in Computer Science and I would love to go back and get a degree in it after I graduate and I wanted to know how possible it would be. I know that it all depends on what MOS you have as some are "less flexible" than others time-wise. Just wondering if anyone had any experience in getting another BA/BS as an officer or attending Grad School as an already commissioned officer. Thanks for any and all information.
    Yes it is a possibility but like you already kind of answered yourself it will depend on your MOS, work schedule, operation tempo, and whether or not you want your own time off or going to school.

Continuing an education is a required part of Officers PME(professional military education), once you become a Captain and make career board in order to continue on picking up rank and taking certain billets/jobs you are required to continue an education towards a masters and so on.

Not sure if you really understood that or not..??...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    Yes it is a possibility but like you already kind of answered yourself it will depend on your MOS, work schedule, operation tempo, and whether or not you want your own time off or going to school.

Continuing an education is a required part of Officers PME(professional military education), once you become a Captain and make career board in order to continue on picking up rank and taking certain billets/jobs you are required to continue an education towards a masters and so on.

Not sure if you really understood that or not..??...

Yeah that's what I was thinking too, I was also hoping that since I'd have some kind of background in computer science (since I'd be taking classes for the minor), it wouldn't be as though I'm starting off fresh. Hopefully that factors in if I do go on to purse that BS.

Yes, I already have plans/goals of receiving my Law Degree regardless so I have no qualms about furthering my education and receiving more degrees at all. Thanks for your answer!

There are a lot of education opportunities in the military in general. Any one can receive education while on active duty no matter the job and rank, it is just a matter of you finding an option/path in education that will work with you, as well as the effort you put out.

I posted a response to another similar post...I recommend that you check and see if the course(s) you take are accepted at the institution where you are planning to receive your degree. For example, some online courses offered may or will not be accepted so you've lost a lot of time -- and credits. The California universities, i.e., UCLA, UCSF, etc. have very stringent course admission requirements. Good luck. Don't give up.

Further to my previous post: contact the ed counselor at the university and discuss your needs. This will give you a headstart -- perhaps even using the counselor as a reference when you make your admission application.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by fl1946 View Post
    I posted a response to another similar post...I recommend that you check and see if the course(s) you take are accepted at the institution where you are planning to receive your degree. For example, some online courses offered may or will not be accepted so you've lost a lot of time -- and credits. The California universities, i.e., UCLA, UCSF, etc. have very stringent course admission requirements. Good luck. Don't give up.
    My university doesn't accept online courses anywhere, and I'm a little confused by the end of your response and then your second message. I'm already in college, I'm gonna be a junior this coming fall and the Computer Science major at my university essentially needs 4 years to complete (that is in combination with the core classes everyone needs to take), but I'm practically done with those classes so I could potentially finish it in 3 years if I start now. The problem is that I graduate in two, and I'm still on the fence about potentially staying an extra year or two, but I'd end up with 2 Bachelor's and more time to obtain internships, etc. I'm going to email my advisor to see what he thinks to help with my decision. If you could just clear up your response just a bit in regards to the admission application part that would be helpful.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Britt2127 View Post
    My university doesn't accept online courses anywhere, and I'm a little confused by the end of your response and then your second message. I'm already in college, I'm gonna be a junior this coming fall and the Computer Science major at my university essentially needs 4 years to complete (that is in combination with the core classes everyone needs to take), but I'm practically done with those classes so I could potentially finish it in 3 years if I start now. The problem is that I graduate in two, and I'm still on the fence about potentially staying an extra year or two, but I'd end up with 2 Bachelor's and more time to obtain internships, etc. I'm going to email my advisor to see what he thinks to help with my decision. If you could just clear up your response just a bit in regards to the admission application part that would be helpful.
    that response wasn't directly related to you, it was an answer he gave another wannabe asking about college while in the Marine Corps. You can disregard it

Any update on the conversation with your enlisted USMC boyfriend regarding fraternization (i.e., what happens when you attain your commission)?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Any update on the conversation with your enlisted USMC boyfriend regarding fraternization (i.e., what happens when you attain your commission)?
    We've talked about it a bit, but I haven't seen him in a month and it's something I'd rather have a face to face conversation with him about. I'll definitely update when we know what's going on. Thankfully we'll have more time to decide since I'll probably stay in college an extra year since I'm gonna add another major.

Thread Information